Enchanted Cypress Swamps
Experience the breathtaking magic of the Cypress Swamps as the season transitions from late Summer into Autumn.
The cooler weather turns this beautiful ecosystem into a photographer’s paradise at this time of the year.
Giant cypress trees draped in Spanish moss and dappled in hues of green, gold and orange reflect in the calm waters.
Whisps of mist and fog float throughout the swamps, illuminated by mystical, golden light.
Creatures nest, slither and bask in the warm sunlight, providing incredible opportunities for wildlife and landscape photographers alike.
Join us on this 5 day workshop!
Whether you’re an experienced, amateur, or beginner photographer, you will add to your portfolio with an incredible array of images that capture the surreal beauty of this unique, delicate landscape.
- Improving your Landscape and Wildlife photography skills with our team of master photographers
- Exploring the uniquely beautiful, mysterious landscapes of the Bayou and Cypress Swamps of Louisiana
- Photographing the moss-covered, giant cypress trees – their leaves a patchwork of green and gold during this specially timed workshop
- Capturing the sunrise as the soft morning light pierces through the mist shrouding the bayou
- Traveling by motorboat and kayak into intimate backwaters and channels to secret locations within the Great Atchafalaya Basin and Swamps
- Learning composition techniques to transform your photos into compelling, creative, and engaging images
- Receiving support and mentoring that is personalized to your photography skills and journey
- A small workshop so your experience is truly personal, and you get to know your guide and fellow photographers
- 5 day workshop with 4 nights accommodation
- Award-winning, professional Photo Guides who will provide a combination of instruction, masterclasses, and in-field guidance
- Transportation during the workshop in a comfortable vehicle with ample room for you and your photography gear
- Use of kayaks and motorboats
- Post-processing sessions with Photo Guides
- Permits for parks/monuments
- Access to exclusive discounts on gear from our partners
- Flights and transportation to our workshop location
- Food and beverages
- Items of a personal nature including (but not limited to) laundry services, clothing, Wi-Fi, email or phone charges
- Gratuities for Photo Guides, local guides and/or drivers
Meet the Guides
Important Workshop Information
Outdoor photography is not without risk. Wind, rain, mud, wildlife and the terrain are real dangers when photographing on location. You are expected to follow instructions to ensure you are kept safe and out of harm’s way.
Participants need to have good mobility and fitness for getting in/out of kayaks and motorboats and paddling themselves around the swamps.
You must advise Viking International Phototours at the time of booking and in writing of any illness, injury, or pre-existing medical conditions that might reasonably be expected to affect your attendance and participation during the workshop.
Our workshop's itinerary is subject to change at the discretion of our Photo Guides depending on factors including but not limited to weather, road conditions, transportation delays, and other factors beyond our control. We will check the weather forecasts and road conditions and plan our day to optimize shooting conditions.
We cannot guarantee that we will be able to visit all the locations on the itinerary.
Fall colors typically start in Louisiana from late-October/early-November when the days start to shorten. However, there are many variables that can affect this, for example the temperatures and precipitation levels in the preceding months. While the workshop has been carefully planned to maximise the chances of capturing the transition to Fall colors, we cannot guarantee that this will be the case.
Please be aware that cell/mobile reception is intermittent throughout parts of the Southwest US. You can expect to be offline at times.
In the event of an emergency, our Guides are First-Aid, CPR/AED, and Wilderness trained and certified by the Red Cross. They will carry a satellite beacon, which allows them access to emergency services if there is no cell service available.
There are drone-friendly places in South West US, so if you own a drone, you are welcome to bring it along to the workshop.
Please note that you are solely responsible for your equipment and are expected to adhere to all rules and regulations specified by the Federal Aviation Administration (which can be accessed here) and any other applicable state, park, and monument-specific regulations.
Viking International Phototours and our Photo Guides will not be liable for any injury or damage caused to equipment, environment, or people caused by you operating your drone during our workshop.
Please refer to the Booking Terms and Conditions.
Booking with Viking International Phototours indicates acceptance of the Booking Terms and Conditions as outlined.