Death Valley by Night
Interested in astrophotography but you are hesitant to try on your own? Milky Way shots are in your bucketlist but you don’t know where to start or what gear to use? Ready to chase sunsets and sunrises as well with our creative masters?
Embark on an astrophotography-focused adventure with Sigurdur William Brynjarsson & Stan Moniz and be captivated by the splendor of capturing the night skies, fiery sunsets and sunrises at Death Valley National Park!
- Camera and gear set-up
- Learn how to capture sharp stars, proper exposure times and image balance
- Creative compositions with the Milky Way
- Star Trails in one Exposure Only
- Workshop is timed to take place during the Geminid Meteor Shower
- Consecutive exposures to stack for a single star trail image
- The Use of External Lighting to enhance your night photos
- Exclusive VIP discounts from our partners!
- 3-day workshop with award-winning, professional Photo Guides who will provide a combination of instruction in-field guidance
- Post-processing sessions with Photo Guides
- Access to exclusive discounts on gear from our partners
- Learn how to use an astro/sky tracker, create star trails and many more astrophotography basics
- Master the use of filters for use in landscape photography
- Travel to and from Death Valley (Furnace Creek)
- Airport transfers
- Hotel rooms
- Food and beverages (other than breakfasts and Welcome dinner)
- Items of a personal nature including (but not limited to) laundry services, clothing, Wi-Fi, email or phone charges
- Gratuities for Photo Guides, local guides and/or drivers
A 3% charge is added when using this service. Please contact us if you would prefer other payment options.
Death Valley is one of the the few locations in the United States that has received the distinction as a Gold Tier Dark Sky Park by The International Dark-Sky Association, making it one of the best star-gazing spots in the world. We will enjoy 3 days and 2 nights chasing sunsets as well as observing and capturing the celestial bodies visible to us. This workshop is timed around the Geminid Metoer Shower and we can’t think of a better location to observe this phenomenon that in the dark skies of Death Valley?
Our main goal is to ensure that our participants have sufficient opportunities to photograph Death Valley’s vivid sunsets as well as it’s night skies. Our VIP photo guides will adjust the workshop itinerary based on astronomical opportunities as well as the weather forecast. They will fine tune the daily destinations and timing each day according to the weather, sunset, astro and weather forecasts, PhotoPills and other apps that assist our master photographers in planning out where the best opportunities to capture winter light will be.
Our home base will be at a hotel in Furnace Creek. This will allow us a central location to easily reach the national park’s most iconic spots.
In addition to countless shooting opportunities; our teaching focus will be on Astrophotography (star trails, light painting and milky way), composition and post-processing as well as gear review and equipment advice.
Accommodations are not included in the workshop fee.
You will be expected to follow instructions to ensure you are kept safe and out of harms way.
You must also advise Viking International Phototours in advance and in writing of any illness, injury or pre-existing medical conditions that might reasonably be expected to affect your attendance and participation during the workshop.
The itinerary for our workshop is subject to change at the discretion of our Photo Guides depending on the weather, which can be highly unpredictable. We will check the weather forecasts and road conditions and plan our day to optimize shooting conditions. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to visit all the locations on the itinerary.
A recommended list of gear will be sent out as soon as you book to give you ample time to prepare for your adventure.
Please refer to the Booking Terms and Conditions.
Booking with Viking International Phototours indicates acceptance of the Booking Terms and Conditions as outlined.