Wonders of the Old West
Join us for amazing photo tours through Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, as well as some mind-blowing Montana Ghost Towns and the incredible Island Park, Idaho!
August is the best time to capture wildlife and stunning summer landscapes in these incredible national parks. We often see river otters, bison, coyotes, foxes, eagles, and more, so rent a long lens if you don’t have one. We will stay at the immersive luxury lodge, Riverfront Retreat, on the pristine Buffalo River in nearby Island Park, where we will also capture the stunning forest-river scenery and watch for the resident population of moose, fox, deer, mink, eagles, blue heron, sandhill cranes and more. Nights will be crisp and clear with plenty of opportunities to photograph the Milky Way.
Caryn Esplin, college photography professor, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton expert will host us in their brand new “Riverfront Retreat” on the Buffalo River, where you will be surrounded in comfort, luxury and mountain modern décor and old west artifacts. Visitors often call this getaway a “slice of heaven.” Enjoy this video glimpse of our accommodations.
Caryn has two Polaris Crew Ranger ATVs to take us into hard-to-access locations along the pristine Buffalo River in Island Park, Idaho.
Get ready to bolster your landscape and wildlife photography portfolio with stunning images of the Wonders of the Old West: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho.
- A focus on spring landscape and wildlife photography
- Hands-on Instruction and practice with Astrophotography along the Buffalo River in Island Park, ID… known for its pristine, dark skies
- Our master photographers will instruct you with basic and advanced photography techniques including but not limited to: composition, camera settings, wildlife action settings, filter use, etc.
- Exploring photographic highlights of Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Island Park and nearby Montana Ghost Towns
- Master instruction at the lodge and on-location
- Photo editing demo with attention to wildlife and landscape
- Visiting breathtaking locations in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks and nearby Montana Ghost Towns and Island Park… including many of these locations: Schwabacher Landing, Mormon Row barns, Oxbow Bend, Mt Haynes, Old Faithful, Heyden Valley, Fountain Paint Pots, Biscuit Basin, Black Sand Basin, Firehole Canyon Falls, Yellowstone Falls, Gibbon Falls, Kepler Cascades, Buffalo River Trestle Bridge, Ponds Lodge Bridge, Henry’s Fork, Two-River Confluence, Big Springs, Ennis, Virginia City, Nevada City and much more!
- Learning new skills and advanced photography techniques to make the most of lighting and locations such as bracketing, focus stacking and long exposures
- A small workshop so your experience is truly personal, and you get to know your guide and fellow photographers
- 6-day workshop with 5 nights lodge accommodations (double occupancy)
- Expert photographer guides who will provide a combination of instruction, masterclasses, and in-field guidance
- Most meals with standard beverages are provided at the Riverfront Retreat
- WiFi at the Riverfront Retreat Lodge
- Access to exclusive discounts on gear from our partners
- Commercial Permit Fees for Yellowstone National Park
- Travel to and from Island Park, ID., and Yellowstone, MT. (Fly in and out of Idaho Falls, Idaho Airport – IDA)
- Transportation during the workshop
- Single room supplement (may be available on request – contact us for pricing)
- Alcohol and snacks (may be purchased near the lodge)
- Meals when eating out
- Items of a personal nature including (but not limited to) laundry services, clothing, Wi-Fi, email, or phone charges
- Gratuities for Photo Guides, local guides, and/or drivers
A 3% charge is added using this service. Please contact us if you prefer other payment options.
It is our goal for our participants to have ample time to photograph many of Yellowstone’s most photogenic locations and wildlife with the best available light. Weather in spring is far more likely to produce those dramatic skies that every landscape photographer looks for. With the skills you learn, you’ll be in the right place with the right knowledge to capture these iconic spots.
Our master photographers will guide you as we venture through the most scenic locations that this park has to offer. They will adjust the workshop itinerary based on the weather forecast. They will fine tune the daily destinations and timing each day according to the weather, sunrise, sunset, astro and weather forecasts, PhotoPills and other apps that assist our master photographers in planning out where the best opportunities to capture winter light will be.
We will stay at the immersive luxury lodge, Riverfront Retreat, on the pristine Buffalo River in nearby Island Park, where we will also capture the stunning forest-river scenery and watch for the resident population of moose, fox, deer, mink, pine martin and more.
In addition to countless shooting opportunities with our masters; several image critiques, masterclasses, and post-processing sessions are built into the itinerary. We will be focusing on key topics such as teaching composition including pre-visualisation, wildlife photography, filter use for landscape photography, Astrophotography (star trails, light painting and milky way), post-processing and color calibration techniques as well as gear review and equipment advice.
Workshop pricing is based on room sharing in double rooms. For an additional cost you may request a single room - please note this is subject to room availability, and at the discretion of Viking International Phototours based on workshop attendee numbers.
Yellowstone winter conditions can be extremely rugged and harsh. You will be expected to follow instructions to ensure you are kept safe and out of harm’s way.
You must also advise Viking International Phototours in advance and in writing of any illness, injury or pre-existing medical conditions that might reasonably be expected to affect your attendance and participation during the workshop.
The itinerary for our workshop is subject to change at the discretion of our Photo Guides depending on the weather, which can be highly unpredictable. We will check the weather forecasts and road conditions and plan our day to optimize shooting conditions. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to visit all the locations on the itinerary.
A recommended list of gear will be sent out as soon as you book to give you ample time to prepare for your adventure.
Please refer to the Booking Terms and Conditions.
Booking with Viking International Phototours indicates acceptance of the Booking Terms and Conditions as outlined.