5-Day Winter Photo Immersion in Yellowstone & Island Park: Winter Landscapes & Wildlife
Join us for this unique opportunity to capture the incredible thermal landscapes and abundant winter wildlife of Yellowstone National Park in the comfort of a heated snow coach! We often see river otters, bison, coyotes, foxes, eagles, and more, so rent a long lens if you don’t have one.
We will stay at the immersive luxury lodge, Riverfront Retreat, on the pristine Buffalo River in nearby Island Park, where we will also capture the stunning forest-river scenery and watch for the resident population of moose, fox, deer, mink, pine martin and more.
Two master photographers will lead only seven participants for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Our own Siggi, is teaming up with our new partner, Caryn Esplin, college photography professor and experienced Yellowstone expert and workshop provider. Lodging will be at Caryn’s brand new “Riverfront Retreat” on the Buffalo River, where you will be surrounded in comfort, luxury and mountain modern décor and old west artifacts. Visitors often call this getaway a “slice of heaven.” Enjoy this video glimpse of our accommodations.
You will come home with stunning new winter fine art photographs to enhance and diversify your photography portfolio. Siggi and Caryn will provide you with incredible opportunities and the correct camera settings to capture mind-blowing winter images whether you are a beginner or advanced photographer.
- A focus on winter landscape and wildlife photography
- Our master photographers will instruct you with basic and advanced photography techniques including but not limited to: composition, winter camera settings, wildlife action settings, filter use, etc.
- Exploring photographic highlights of Yellowstone and Island Park in a heated winter snow coach (large and small)
- Master instruction at the lodge and on location
- Photo editing demo with attention to winter photography
- Visiting breathtaking locations in Yellowstone National Park and nearby Island Park including but not limited to: Canyon, Heyden Valley, Mt Haybes Overview, Old Faithful, Fountain Paint Pots, Biscuit Basin, Black Sand Basin, Firehole Canyon Falls, Yellowstone Falls, Gibbon Falls, Kepler Cascades, Buffalo River Trestle Bridge, Ponds Lodge Bridge,Two-River Confluence, and much more!
- Learning new skills and advanced photography techniques to make the most of lighting and locations such as bracketing, focus stacking and long exposures
- A small workshop so your experience is truly personal, and you get to know your guide and fellow photographers
- 5-day workshop with 4 nights lodge accommodations (double occupancy)
- Award-winning, Global Elite Photographer Guides who will provide a combination of instruction, masterclasses and in-field guidance
- Travel to and from Island Park, ID., and Yellowstone, MT. (Fly in and out of Idaho Falls, Idaho Airport – IDA)
- Transportation during the workshop in a comfortable, four-wheel drive vehicle with ample room for you and your photography gear
- Airport transfers aside from the departures from Idaho Falls Airport
- 9 Meals with standard beverages are provided at the Riverfront Retreat (Alcohol may be purchased near the lodge; 2 Meals not included when we eat out in West Yellowstone)
- WiFi at the Riverfront Retreat Lodge
- Exclusive VIP and Global Elite Photographer swag
- Access to exclusive discounts on gear from our partners
- Commercial Permit Fees for Yellowstone National Park
- Disposable masks and hand sanitizer availability for all participants during the duration of the workshop
• Single room supplement (contact us for pricing)
• Only the meals when eating out
• Items of a personal nature including (but not limited to) laundry services, clothing, Wi-Fi, email or phone charges
• Gratuities for Photo Guides, local guides and/or drivers
It is our goal for our participants to have ample time to photograph many of Yellowstone’s most photogenic locations and wildlife with the best available light. Weather in winter is far more likely to produce those dramatic skies that every landscape photographer looks for. With the skills you learn, you’ll be in the right place with the right knowledge to capture these iconic spots.
Our master photographers will guide you as we venture through the most scenic locations that this park has to offer. They will adjust the workshop itinerary based on the weather forecast. They will fine tune the daily destinations and timing each day according to the weather, sunrise, sunset, astro and weather forecasts, PhotoPills and other apps that assist our master photographers in planning out where the best opportunities to capture winter light will be.
We will stay at the immersive luxury lodge, Riverfront Retreat, on the pristine Buffalo River in nearby Island Park, where we will also capture the stunning forest-river scenery and watch for the resident population of moose, fox, deer, mink, pine martin and more. Caryn also just purchased the new Polaris Northstar Ultimate 6-passenger private snowcoach to take us along the Buffalo River to access pristine locations rarely ever visited before.
In addition to countless shooting opportunities with our masters; several image critiques, masterclasses, and post-processing sessions are built into the itinerary. We will be focusing on key topics such as teaching composition including pre-visualisation, wildlife photography, filter use for landscape photography, Astrophotography (star trails, light painting and milky way), post-processing and color calibration techniques as well as gear review and equipment advice.
Workshop pricing is based on room sharing in double rooms. For an additional cost you may request a single room - please note this is subject to room availability, and at the discretion of Viking International Phototours based on workshop attendee numbers.
Yellowstone winter conditions can be extremely rugged and harsh. You will be expected to follow instructions to ensure you are kept safe and out of harm’s way.
You must also advise Viking International Phototours in advance and in writing of any illness, injury or pre-existing medical conditions that might reasonably be expected to affect your attendance and participation during the workshop.
The itinerary for our workshop is subject to change at the discretion of our Photo Guides depending on the weather, which can be highly unpredictable. We will check the weather forecasts and road conditions and plan our day to optimize shooting conditions. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to visit all the locations on the itinerary.
A recommended list of gear will be sent out as soon as you book to give you ample time to prepare for your adventure.
Please refer to the Booking Terms and Conditions.
Booking with Viking International Phototours indicates acceptance of the Booking Terms and Conditions as outlined.