Into the Badlands: A 5 Day Photography Workshop in Utah
Join us on this 5 day workshop as we explore the magnificent Utah Badlands, capturing its captivating palette of colors from sunrise through to sunset – and beyond!
Photograph the dramatic and rugged narrows of Capitol Reef and experience the colorful hues of this untamed part of Utah with our expert guides.
- Improve your Landscape, Astro, and Golden Hour photography skills
- Learn composition techniques to transform your photos into compelling, creative, and engaging images
- A small group (1:4 guide to client ratio) workshop to ensure your experience is truly personal, and you get to know your guide and fellow photographers
- 5 day workshop with 4 nights accommodation
- Transportation during the workshop in a comfortable vehicle with ample room for you and your photography gear
- Exclusive VIP and Global Elite Photographer swag
- Disposable masks and hand sanitizer availability for all participants during the duration of the workshop
- Award-winning, professional Photo Guides who will provide a combination of instruction and in-field guidance
- Image review session with Photo Guides
- Permits for parks/monuments
- Access to exclusive discounts on gear from our partners
- Flights and transportation to/from Hanksville
- Food and beverages
- Items of a personal nature including (but not limited to) laundry services, clothing, Wi-Fi, email or phone charges
- Gratuities for Photo Guides, local guides and/or drivers
Discover the Badlands with us...
Photograph the dramatic and rugged narrows of Capitol Reef and experience the colorful hues of this untamed part of Utah with our expert guides. Our intimate knowledge of the area and a guide to participant ratio of 1:4 will allow us to provide you with the best way to capture the breathtaking beauty that this untamed part of the Colorado Plateau has to offer.
On this photo adventure, we will explore Capitol Reef National Park. This area is is overflowing with dramatic sandstone features including arches, monoliths, endless canyons, red rock, white domes, and countless stunning desert features to feast your eyes on.
Be prepared to enjoy more diversity in the landscape as we venture outside the entrance to Capitol Reef. This region is home to some of the most interesting badlands in the world. The colorful hues of Bentonite Hills, the bluish Mancos Shale badlands, and the deep martian-red badlands of the Chinle Formations are just some of the areas we will visit.
With its dark skies and endless foregrounds, we’ll also have several opportunities to photographing the stars in one of the few remaining dark skies in the US.
Landscape photography is not without risk. Wind, rain, snow, mud, and the terrain are real dangers when photographing on location. You are expected to follow instructions to ensure you are kept safe and out of harm’s way.
You must advise Viking International Phototours at the time of booking and in writing of any illness, injury, or pre-existing medical conditions that might reasonably be expected to affect your attendance and participation during the workshop.
Our workshop's itinerary is subject to change at the discretion of our Photo Guides depending on factors including but not limited to weather, road conditions, transportation delays, and other factors beyond our control. We will check the weather forecasts and road conditions and plan our day to optimize shooting conditions.
We cannot guarantee that we will be able to visit all the locations on the itinerary.
Please be aware that cell/mobile reception is intermittent throughout parts of the Southwest US. You can expect to be offline at times.
In the event of an emergency, our Guides are First-Aid, CPR/AED, and Wilderness trained and certified by the Red Cross. They will carry a satellite beacon, which allows them access to emergency services if there is no cell service available.
There are drone-friendly places in South West US, so if you own a drone, you are welcome to bring it along to the workshop.
Please note that you are solely responsible for your equipment and are expected to adhere to all rules and regulations specified by the Federal Aviation Administration (which can be accessed here) and any other applicable state, park, and monument-specific regulations.
Viking International Phototours and our Photo Guides will not be liable for any injury or damage caused to equipment, environment, or people caused by you operating your drone during our workshop.
Please refer to the Booking Terms and Conditions.
Booking with Viking International Phototours indicates acceptance of the Booking Terms and Conditions as outlined.